Welcome to TitleTransfer.com

Welcome to TitleTransfer.com

Our goal is to help you find the answers and solutions to some of the most confusing and frustrating DMV transactions. Choose one of the common options below or browse the site for anything from guides on how to update your address to how to transfer your title. 

Replacing Lost Title
Transferring Title & Registration to New Owner
Removing or Adding Lienholder from Title
Applying for Title & Registration After Moving to New State
Changing Title or Registration Information
Replacing Lost TitleTransferring Title & Registration to New OwnerRemoving or Adding Lienholder from Title
Applying for Title & Registration After Moving to New StateRenewing or Replacing Vehicle RegistrationChanging Title or Registration Information

Replacing a Title

A title, formerly known as a Certificate of Title and informally known as pink slip, is a document issued by a state agency, such as a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), that establishes the legal owner of a vehicle. When you need to obtain a replacement title, that suggests you are already the owner whose name appears on record. You may find yourself in need to replace your vehicle title if:

  • You never received your title from the DMV, a dealership, or a lien holder.
  • Your title was lost or stolen
  • Your title is damaged

Transferring a Title to a New Owner

When you get a new or used car, the title has to be transferred from the current owner to you. You may need to transfer ownership of a title if:

  • You bought a new vehicle from a private party. For vehicles bought from a dealership, the title transfer is usually completed by the dealership for you.
  • You were gifted or inherited a vehicle from a family member, friend, or other party.
  • You need to remove one of the owners on the title or add a second owner to a title. Most states consider this a transfer even though the vehicle remains in possession of the same individual(s).

Removing/Adding a Lienholder

A lien holder is a party who has legal interest in a vehicle. A lien holder may be a company or a person. You may need to change a lien holder if:

  • You recently paid off your car loan or note. While most large companies take care of having the lien removed from the title, you may be required to do so yourself. You’ll need a lien release letter in that case.
  • You offered your vehicle as collateral on loan or other business deal and need to add that party as a lien holder.

Moving to a New State

When you move to a new state, you’ll need to apply for a registration from your new state of residence. Each state offers different grace periods for applying for new plates, ranging from 10 to 60 days on average. Here is what you can expect when registering your car in most states:

  • Turn in your title – If you don’t have your title because a lease or lien holder has possession of it, you will be required to contact the lien holder to release the title to the DMV of your new state of residence.
  • Insure your vehicle – Most states require a copy of your insurance policy indicating the vehicle is insured in your new state.
  • Provide ID – Some states allow you to register your vehicle even if you don’t have a license or ID from that state yet. Others require that you have a driver license from your new state.
  • Inspections – Many states require inspections for smog, safety, and validating that the VIN on the car matches the VIN on the title
  • Sign forms – Most states have title and registration applications forms that must be signed and are provided at the time you visit a DMV office or online

Renewing or Replacing a Vehicle Registration

In order to keep your registration current, you must renew it by paying the required tax. You may find yourself in need of replacing one or more components of the registration (license plate(s), registration card, or plate sticker(s)) outside of your registration renewal period. You will need to renew or your replace your registration when:

  • You are within your renewal period which varies by state. Many states allow renewal with 2 months or 60 days of the registation expiring, allowing time for new decal or sticker and registration card to the arrive in the mail if done early.
  • You current license plate(s), registration card, or decal/sticker(s) have become lost, stolen, or damaged beyond legibility. 

Changing Title or Registration Information

Information on your registration or title and consequently within your state’s database may be incorrect or out of date. You may need to request a change of your registration and/or title information if:

  • You’ve legally changed your name
  • You’ve moved within the same state and need to update your address
  • A characteristic of the vehicle has changed such as the color of the vehicle
  • You want to add or remove an owner – Some states consider this a change on the title and others consider this a title transfer.

Learn more about vehicle title and registrations on TitleTransfer.com or check out some of our recent blog posts.